Skip to main content

Now where did I put that thing...?

 What do you think, is 15 months long enough to go without an update? Yeah, I think so too.

  Let's get right into the meat of it then. Now where did I leave off... -Rummages through old posts. Sounds of scrap tubing bouncing off the floor accompany muffled curses-

AHA! Found it. We were waiting to finish weld the fuselage. I had a good review from my Tech councilor in April of 2021 and started in on finish-welding the fuselage. I started at the tailpost and worked forward, spiraling around the fuselage as I welded each tubing cluster. I made up a rotisserie of sorts to allow me to turn the fuselage for better access to all sides of each weld.

The rotisserie consisted of two 2x4 stands with a hole drilled in an end. This hole accepted a piece of tubing on which the fuselage could rotate. This is probably one of those "a picture is worth 1000 words" deals, so here ya go. The front pivot is just some gas pipe bolted to a plywood plate. The plywood is held on the fuselage with plumbers strap and screws.

 


One of the worst clusters: 6 tubes.
The tail pivot is a T of scrap tubing clamped to the tailpost with a couple blocks. It took a little adjusting to get the pivots aligned with the fuselage correctly so it was balanced enough to stay in whatever position I spun it. I ended up adding a clamp to the forward support to add some friction and keep the fuselage from spinning unexpectedly.
After doing the first couple clusters I estimated it took about 1hr to fully weld each cluster. There are about 40 clusters in the fuselage, so I figured that meant finish-welding should take about 40 hrs. Looking back on my logbook now, it seems I only spent about 25 hours finish-welding, so it went way faster than I expected!

But wait, there's more! Since I had the control stick welded up, I figured it best to make progress on the rest of the control stick assembly. I re-re-re welded the bushing onto the control stick
torque tube and finally got it right this time. All that welding in one place put a bit of a bend into the torque tube, so I had to spend some time with the torch heating and bending to get the bow out. The aft end of the torque tube slips into a tube welded onto the front of the seat. That went in next. This caused the front of the seat to warp, just like the torque tube had, so a little time with the torch was necessary to relax it back out and get everything in line again. With all of this done the torque tube received a pair of stop-rings to capture the rear pivot. The forward stop-ring is welded on and the rear one is held with a bolt so the torque tube can be removed if necessary. This bolt doubles as a stop so you can't push the stick too far left and right. A little C-shaped bracket will eventually be welded to the seat frame to capture this bolt.

While I was working on the front of the seat, I decided to weld up the rest of the seat-base. This consisted of two little "L"s of tubing mitred together. Quick and easy.


A couple other little things got done like making the engine-mount bushings for the firewall and welding caps on the forward ends of the longerons.

That catches us up to the beginning of 2022. That's all the pictures I took, so the next post will catch up to current progress. Gotta go snap some photos!

 

 

 

Total time: 613.55hr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fittings. How fitting.

  Not much has happened on the Ace this year. The winter was long and spring has been very cold, so I spent a long time waiting for the garage to warm up. Now that there's a little heat down there I've been making some headway on the next step of my wing build: fittings. I copied the parts off the plans into CAD and then printed them onto cardstock to use as patterns when laying fittings out on the steel stock.    First I tackled the brackets that will hold the pulleys for the aileron cables. I have a lot of extra material in case I had to remake these. The next step was to bend up my fittings. There is one fitting that mounts to the forward side of the strut which gets bent to a 90° angle. The fitting which mounts to the aft side of the spar gets bent at about an 85° angle. I forget the exact number, but don't feel like looking it up at the moment. Next I cut out the aileron control horns. My Harbor Freight porta-band chucked into my vice works well for cutting thes

10 months in under 10 minutes.

I don't feel like going into depth on every little aspect of work I've done over the last 10 months, so I'll hit the highlights and if anyone has questions, feel free to comment and I'll elaborate.  As the year started the garage was cold. With a propane heater it would get warm enough to work for a few hours, but because 4130 steel is an air-tempered alloy, it needs to be sufficiently warm out for welding. Long story short; I can't weld, so I make parts. I plugged away making little bits so I can use them when it comes time to build a new assembly. The landing gear legs and spring struts have metal straps to reinforce the bushings in the ends. I knocked these out in a couple days after work. Likewise, the tabs that will become door hinges and the fittings for the tailwheel were cut, drilled, and deburred. As it warmed up and I got an order of laser-cut parts the aileron control arm and pulley brackets were welded to the torque tube for the control stick.  I also cu

3-D and waiting.

On January 18th I posted my last blog update; both fuselage sides were tack welded. That was seven months ago now. I should update more regularly. Okay, self-flagellation over, let's get to the content! Once both fuselage sides were tack welded, I pulled all the jig blocks off the table, elected not to repaint again, and just laid out the stations for the top view of the fuselage. We lay out the top view because the top of the fuselage is flat which makes it a lot easier to jig things up if you lay out the fuselage upside-down. With the top view lofted out on the table I could start adding in jig blocks starting in the cockpit area where the sides are parallel. A stick and some clamps help hold the sides parallel for this photo op.  Now may be a good time to mention, if I haven't already, that I am widening this fuselage from stock. The original Jr Ace (Model E) was 33-1/8" between tubing centerlines at the widest point. This makes for a pretty cramped space when two peopl