Skip to main content

Wingtips and Tubing Woes

  Now that we're all caught up we can continue.

  On Monday I laid out the template for the wingtip bows. This was made a little trickier because the dimensions are to the inside of the tubing, but the Zero position at each end is at the outside of the tubing. There are no dimensions for the endpoints of the inner curve, they just have to be extrapolated. 

   The dimensions are given from the tip rib at various stations, every 2 inches for the leading edge, and every 6 inches after that. I laid out on a piece of lauan. A nail was driven in at each point, and a thin strip of 1/16" plywood was sprung around the nails. You have to eyeball the curve to make sure it looks smooth, or "fair." This is the stage where you start extrapolating the end points; you make the line look right and make sure 3/4" tubing will fit the rib. In my case, one of the points was about 3/16" too far in to create a fair curve. This was shifted outboard and everything else worked out.

The next step is to bend the tubing, for which we'll need a bending jig. Many people have had good luck with an electrical-conduit bender. I have access to one, but for some reason I decided it would make sense to build my own bender. It's constructed based off a drawing from Tony Bingelis for bending 1/4" and 1/2" tubing. This was my first and only warning that I was heading down the wrong track.
Two pieces of 3/4" plywood were glued together and had a 3/4" wide round groove routed in the edge. Drywall screws reinforce this. A steel strap with a hole in each end was fabricated. This strap holds the tubing in place during bending via a bolt through the strap and plywood. All was looking good.
 And then I tried to bend. The long, smooth bends came out great, but any of the sharper bends needed for the leading edge of the wingtip bow resulted in kinking. The plywood isn't strong enough to resist the outward forces of the tubing walls in tight bends and so the tube can kink, so that was about 4.5hours wasted. I think I will still use the bender for the gentle curves, but I need to get a conduit bender for the sharper curve in the wingtip bows. 
 
  The last project wasn't part of the airplane build, but I think it will make a significant difference in how I use the shop. I fabricated myself a little raked shelf to hold my laptop and charger. The shelf lets me see and reach the keyboard while keeping the screen at an easy viewing height. Now I can have my computer playing relevant/inspiring content while I work, and also puts reference material close to hand while keeping my bench clear. I am very pleased with this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fittings. How fitting.

  Not much has happened on the Ace this year. The winter was long and spring has been very cold, so I spent a long time waiting for the garage to warm up. Now that there's a little heat down there I've been making some headway on the next step of my wing build: fittings. I copied the parts off the plans into CAD and then printed them onto cardstock to use as patterns when laying fittings out on the steel stock.    First I tackled the brackets that will hold the pulleys for the aileron cables. I have a lot of extra material in case I had to remake these. The next step was to bend up my fittings. There is one fitting that mounts to the forward side of the strut which gets bent to a 90° angle. The fitting which mounts to the aft side of the spar gets bent at about an 85° angle. I forget the exact number, but don't feel like looking it up at the moment. Next I cut out the aileron control horns. My Harbor Freight porta-band chucked into my vice works well for cutting thes

10 months in under 10 minutes.

I don't feel like going into depth on every little aspect of work I've done over the last 10 months, so I'll hit the highlights and if anyone has questions, feel free to comment and I'll elaborate.  As the year started the garage was cold. With a propane heater it would get warm enough to work for a few hours, but because 4130 steel is an air-tempered alloy, it needs to be sufficiently warm out for welding. Long story short; I can't weld, so I make parts. I plugged away making little bits so I can use them when it comes time to build a new assembly. The landing gear legs and spring struts have metal straps to reinforce the bushings in the ends. I knocked these out in a couple days after work. Likewise, the tabs that will become door hinges and the fittings for the tailwheel were cut, drilled, and deburred. As it warmed up and I got an order of laser-cut parts the aileron control arm and pulley brackets were welded to the torque tube for the control stick.  I also cu

3-D and waiting.

On January 18th I posted my last blog update; both fuselage sides were tack welded. That was seven months ago now. I should update more regularly. Okay, self-flagellation over, let's get to the content! Once both fuselage sides were tack welded, I pulled all the jig blocks off the table, elected not to repaint again, and just laid out the stations for the top view of the fuselage. We lay out the top view because the top of the fuselage is flat which makes it a lot easier to jig things up if you lay out the fuselage upside-down. With the top view lofted out on the table I could start adding in jig blocks starting in the cockpit area where the sides are parallel. A stick and some clamps help hold the sides parallel for this photo op.  Now may be a good time to mention, if I haven't already, that I am widening this fuselage from stock. The original Jr Ace (Model E) was 33-1/8" between tubing centerlines at the widest point. This makes for a pretty cramped space when two peopl