Skip to main content

Big progress slow, or small progress now?

This is just a small update to say I've been working on an airplane.

I've been doing a lot of reading on home-building aircraft lately and one of the "hints" I've run across over and over again is, "work on it every day;" most articles say to work an hour a day, and I've laughed at them. After a 10 hour work day, some time to decompress, then make and eat dinner, I have precious little time to spend in the garage before 9PM rolls around and I stop making noise in order to keep peace with the neighbors who also share our triplex apartment.

However, recently I read an article suggesting half hour stints and another that just said, "Do something every day, no matter how small. A light bulb went on in my head. There was that A-HA moment when I realized I didn't have to stick to a schedule. 

Please bear with me as I explain.
When I started I took the process of building my airplane and broke it down into some fairly large chunks, listed here approximately in the order I figured they would get started:
-Wings
-Tail surfaces
-Fuselage steel
-Cockpit and controls
-Engine/fuel
-Sheet metal
-Covering/painting.

When I started on the wings I broke them down into more basic steps, Building ribs, making the spars, making spar straps, making steel brackets, etc. At first I was trying to knock out each of these parts in one or two big work sessions because they felt were too complex to try and come back to without forgetting something and because it felt good to knock a huge task off the list in one fell swoop. The downside was I was limited to working only when I had large enough chunks of time to do everything to start and finish a part in one sitting. This made for long, frustrating breaks between progress.
 
At some point I realized I needed smaller bites to take because the big build sessions would get interrupted and I was starting to lose my place. I made a to-do list where each part was broken down into the specific steps needed to bring it to completion so I could keep track of where I was and what needed to be done next. For example, this is the approximate list for making a two-piece steel fitting to hold they jury-struts onto the spars.

-Cut steel blanks
-Bend to fit spar
-drill for bolt
-round ends
-smooth all edges with 120grit sandpaper
-break sharp corners with sandpaper or wire wheel
-ream hole to final size
-debur holes
-weld
-recheck fitment on spars
-clean and paint

Small, bite-sized bits. This is where that light bulb began to glow. I had the list, but I was still trying to knock it all out in one big whack. When I read the article suggesting 30 minute work sessions I put two and two together. Each one of these steps could easily be done by itself in about 30 minutes. Pull out the bandsaw, mark and cut some steel, clean up. There, 30 minutes and one step closer to an airplane. Sure, I lose some time to setup and cleanup, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. Pull down a spar from the shelf, bend four fitting, and mark for the bolt holes. There, another 30 min. If you have the time you can start stringing them together; drill those holes. 

Sometimes progress is less than a half hour, maybe you have 15 minutes to mark something out for tomorrow, or to clean up a mess from the day before. Maybe progress today is researching a part, ordering materials, learning more about how to do something, or practicing some welds. Every little bit is one step closer to the goal, even the failures. 
I've made at least two parts that won't make it into the finished aircraft because of some error in construction. I had some aileron control horns that cracked when I bent flanges into them. I spent extra time and finished them anyway, because they were junk anyway and I could practice all the steps before I started over and made the good ones.

So which is better, making big leaps of progress and then resting until you can make the next lunge; or taking little steps day-by-day to reach them same end? Either method could work, but for me the daily steps are paying off far more than I thought they would. To anyone who reads this, especially if you feel exhausted by your last big leap, I encourage you to start taking those small steps toward your own goal today.

-Brian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fittings. How fitting.

  Not much has happened on the Ace this year. The winter was long and spring has been very cold, so I spent a long time waiting for the garage to warm up. Now that there's a little heat down there I've been making some headway on the next step of my wing build: fittings. I copied the parts off the plans into CAD and then printed them onto cardstock to use as patterns when laying fittings out on the steel stock.    First I tackled the brackets that will hold the pulleys for the aileron cables. I have a lot of extra material in case I had to remake these. The next step was to bend up my fittings. There is one fitting that mounts to the forward side of the strut which gets bent to a 90° angle. The fitting which mounts to the aft side of the spar gets bent at about an 85° angle. I forget the exact number, but don't feel like looking it up at the moment. Next I cut out the aileron control horns. My Harbor Freight porta-band chucked into my vice works well for cutting thes

10 months in under 10 minutes.

I don't feel like going into depth on every little aspect of work I've done over the last 10 months, so I'll hit the highlights and if anyone has questions, feel free to comment and I'll elaborate.  As the year started the garage was cold. With a propane heater it would get warm enough to work for a few hours, but because 4130 steel is an air-tempered alloy, it needs to be sufficiently warm out for welding. Long story short; I can't weld, so I make parts. I plugged away making little bits so I can use them when it comes time to build a new assembly. The landing gear legs and spring struts have metal straps to reinforce the bushings in the ends. I knocked these out in a couple days after work. Likewise, the tabs that will become door hinges and the fittings for the tailwheel were cut, drilled, and deburred. As it warmed up and I got an order of laser-cut parts the aileron control arm and pulley brackets were welded to the torque tube for the control stick.  I also cu

3-D and waiting.

On January 18th I posted my last blog update; both fuselage sides were tack welded. That was seven months ago now. I should update more regularly. Okay, self-flagellation over, let's get to the content! Once both fuselage sides were tack welded, I pulled all the jig blocks off the table, elected not to repaint again, and just laid out the stations for the top view of the fuselage. We lay out the top view because the top of the fuselage is flat which makes it a lot easier to jig things up if you lay out the fuselage upside-down. With the top view lofted out on the table I could start adding in jig blocks starting in the cockpit area where the sides are parallel. A stick and some clamps help hold the sides parallel for this photo op.  Now may be a good time to mention, if I haven't already, that I am widening this fuselage from stock. The original Jr Ace (Model E) was 33-1/8" between tubing centerlines at the widest point. This makes for a pretty cramped space when two peopl