Skip to main content

Production line

Warning: I have almost no pictures to supplement this installment.

I laid out a diagram in CAD of all the gussets that had to be cut and how to best fit them on my two 4'x4' sheets of 1/16" plywood. From here it was just a simple matter of ripping the sheet down into strips, then cross-cutting those strips on my crosscut sled. There are a few triangle shaped gussets for the trailing edge that were made by cutting a rectangular gusset on the diagonal with my band saw. The leading edge of the rib has a custom gusset that covers the nose block made last time and butts against the forward spar opening. These were made much the same as the nose blocks, but were able to be cut 4 at a time. There are 50 nose gussets (part# 1), 50 Trailing edge gussets (part# 22), 50 long gussets (part#19), and 602 standard gussets (part# 18). All these gussets are 1/16" birch plywood. Birch plywood needs to be sanded to roughen the surface before gluing. I forgot this fact until after I had cut out all of the nose gussets and trailing edge gussets, but remembered before cross-cutting the 20 strips of plywood that would become the remaining 652 gussets. A palm sander made quick work of this task, but it would have been easier if I'd sanded the whole sheet of plywood before cutting anything in the first place.

 The intercostal capstrips (uprights and diagonals) were cut in much the same way. I took the piece I fitted to the jig last time and set it in the crosscut sled. A stop block was clamped in place and used to cut a test piece. This piece was compared with the original and trial fit in the rib jig. If it fit I cut the remaining 24 pieces needed for the 26 ribs. If not, the stop block was adjusted and the process repeated. Each gusset and intercostal got it's own numbered cup for organization. Not pictured below are the #1 nose gussets or the #18 standard gussets.

The last thing to do before I can production line these ribs is to bend the upper and lower capstrips. I was able to force the upper and lower capstrips into place for fitting the intercostals and finishing up the rib jig, but there is a risk of snapping them. To help alleviate this risk we pre-bend the capstrips. The key to all of this is a 2x4. A slightly deepened airfoil curve is cut into the 2x4; in this case my band saw did the dirty work, but a jigsaw or scroll saw could serve as well. Try to keep both halves of the 2x4 a nice smooth curve. Now we take our capstrips and drop one end in a pot of boiling water. Keep them boiling for 15-20 minutes, then pull them out, stick them between the 2x4 pieces, and clamp them tightly. Let this sit for 12 hours or so. I was able to load up 5-6 capstrips at a time in this makeshift press. The upper capstrips sit flush with the end of the 2x4. The lower capstrips, since their curve is slightly less and located more forward than that of the uppers, are placed a few inches back in the press. Shown below is the 2x4 press block with an upper and a lower capstrip in the press and how they look after being bent.
 
I said the last thing to do was bend the capstrips, but I lied. The nose blocks have a cutout in the leading edge for a 3x4" square spruce leading edge to fit into. The router left these slots with round corners and intentionally undersized. I need to square up these corners before the nose blocks are attached to the rib. I built a jig for the tablesaw and set up stop blocks on my crosscut sled to define the edges of the slot. 16 of the 28 nose blocks cut fine, but about half way through my stop blocks got bumped and the remaining 12 nose blocks received a slot that was 1/8" too wide. I was tempted to ignore this error and just glue in a shim to make up the difference when assembling the wing. I realized, however, that was the wrong attitude to take in this endeavor, and remade 10 nose blocks. Now, again, I had the 26 pieces I would need to start assembling ribs.

Total time invested so far: 30.75 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fittings. How fitting.

  Not much has happened on the Ace this year. The winter was long and spring has been very cold, so I spent a long time waiting for the garage to warm up. Now that there's a little heat down there I've been making some headway on the next step of my wing build: fittings. I copied the parts off the plans into CAD and then printed them onto cardstock to use as patterns when laying fittings out on the steel stock.    First I tackled the brackets that will hold the pulleys for the aileron cables. I have a lot of extra material in case I had to remake these. The next step was to bend up my fittings. There is one fitting that mounts to the forward side of the strut which gets bent to a 90° angle. The fitting which mounts to the aft side of the spar gets bent at about an 85° angle. I forget the exact number, but don't feel like looking it up at the moment. Next I cut out the aileron control horns. My Harbor Freight porta-band chucked into my vice works well for cutting thes

10 months in under 10 minutes.

I don't feel like going into depth on every little aspect of work I've done over the last 10 months, so I'll hit the highlights and if anyone has questions, feel free to comment and I'll elaborate.  As the year started the garage was cold. With a propane heater it would get warm enough to work for a few hours, but because 4130 steel is an air-tempered alloy, it needs to be sufficiently warm out for welding. Long story short; I can't weld, so I make parts. I plugged away making little bits so I can use them when it comes time to build a new assembly. The landing gear legs and spring struts have metal straps to reinforce the bushings in the ends. I knocked these out in a couple days after work. Likewise, the tabs that will become door hinges and the fittings for the tailwheel were cut, drilled, and deburred. As it warmed up and I got an order of laser-cut parts the aileron control arm and pulley brackets were welded to the torque tube for the control stick.  I also cu

3-D and waiting.

On January 18th I posted my last blog update; both fuselage sides were tack welded. That was seven months ago now. I should update more regularly. Okay, self-flagellation over, let's get to the content! Once both fuselage sides were tack welded, I pulled all the jig blocks off the table, elected not to repaint again, and just laid out the stations for the top view of the fuselage. We lay out the top view because the top of the fuselage is flat which makes it a lot easier to jig things up if you lay out the fuselage upside-down. With the top view lofted out on the table I could start adding in jig blocks starting in the cockpit area where the sides are parallel. A stick and some clamps help hold the sides parallel for this photo op.  Now may be a good time to mention, if I haven't already, that I am widening this fuselage from stock. The original Jr Ace (Model E) was 33-1/8" between tubing centerlines at the widest point. This makes for a pretty cramped space when two peopl