Skip to main content

More fittings and a hardware delivery.

  Progress has been slow, as it often is, but progress has been made nonetheless. I finally put another order in with Aircraft Spruce to get materials to finish making my spar fittings and remake the aileron control horns.
  I cut, drilled, and finished the edges on all eight rear spar fittings. Four will be to attach the spar the the cabane structure of the fuselage and the other four will accept the upper end of the rear lift strut. I then chopped up two 6' lengths of .035 thickness steel, forming the blanks which will become the drag wire end clevises. 
I've been having difficulty finding the correct material to make the drag wires, and will need to source them before I can finish the wing assembly. If anyone knows where to find 9/64" diameter, 1050 steel rod/solid wire please let me know.
   I then laid out and cut my aileron control horns out of the 24" square sheet of .090 thickness steel I bought. This sheet should be enough material to also make the rudder horns, elevator horns, and assorted other fittings throughout the rest of the build. The downside of such a large sheet? My little bandsaw doesn't have the throat depth to cut all the way through it. The picture to the right shows how I cut in from both ends and still couldn't get through it. The cut was finished by hand with a hacksaw.

  The last pieces I worked on today were the spar doubler plates. These are 1/8" thick plywood pieces that glue to the spars under the pulley brackets, strut fittings, and spar mount fittings. They will be clamped in place and drilled to match the associated fittings when it comes time to drill the spars.
 I've been making an effort to accrue all the materials and hardware I will need when it comes time to assemble the wings. To this end, I have ordered all the nuts, bolts, washers, clevis pins, cotter pins, and screws needed to put the fittings onto the wings. As I mentioned before, I still need to find a source for the drag-wire stock, but I have the rest of the associated hardware and fittings. I did not purchase the aileron hardware yet, nor have I bought aluminum for the leading and trailing edges. These won't be needed for a little while and my wallet could use a break.
 I believe the final note, and a bit of an aspirational one at that, is that I've started playing with eventual paint schemes. I really liked the one shown below in green and cream. I'm planning to use the Stewart Systems waterborne paints to finish the airplane. When I got my color sample booklet I didn't really like any of the greens, but Curtiss Blue really stood out so Cheyenne and I have agreed that the plane will be finished in Curtiss Blue and Randolph White.


Current build time: 124 hours. Ancillary projects, like drafting patterns, laying out a proof sheet for paints, searching for materials online, fixing tools, and cleaning the garage (perpetually), are not reflected in the total build time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fittings. How fitting.

  Not much has happened on the Ace this year. The winter was long and spring has been very cold, so I spent a long time waiting for the garage to warm up. Now that there's a little heat down there I've been making some headway on the next step of my wing build: fittings. I copied the parts off the plans into CAD and then printed them onto cardstock to use as patterns when laying fittings out on the steel stock.    First I tackled the brackets that will hold the pulleys for the aileron cables. I have a lot of extra material in case I had to remake these. The next step was to bend up my fittings. There is one fitting that mounts to the forward side of the strut which gets bent to a 90° angle. The fitting which mounts to the aft side of the spar gets bent at about an 85° angle. I forget the exact number, but don't feel like looking it up at the moment. Next I cut out the aileron control horns. My Harbor Freight porta-band chucked into my vice works well for cutting thes

10 months in under 10 minutes.

I don't feel like going into depth on every little aspect of work I've done over the last 10 months, so I'll hit the highlights and if anyone has questions, feel free to comment and I'll elaborate.  As the year started the garage was cold. With a propane heater it would get warm enough to work for a few hours, but because 4130 steel is an air-tempered alloy, it needs to be sufficiently warm out for welding. Long story short; I can't weld, so I make parts. I plugged away making little bits so I can use them when it comes time to build a new assembly. The landing gear legs and spring struts have metal straps to reinforce the bushings in the ends. I knocked these out in a couple days after work. Likewise, the tabs that will become door hinges and the fittings for the tailwheel were cut, drilled, and deburred. As it warmed up and I got an order of laser-cut parts the aileron control arm and pulley brackets were welded to the torque tube for the control stick.  I also cu

3-D and waiting.

On January 18th I posted my last blog update; both fuselage sides were tack welded. That was seven months ago now. I should update more regularly. Okay, self-flagellation over, let's get to the content! Once both fuselage sides were tack welded, I pulled all the jig blocks off the table, elected not to repaint again, and just laid out the stations for the top view of the fuselage. We lay out the top view because the top of the fuselage is flat which makes it a lot easier to jig things up if you lay out the fuselage upside-down. With the top view lofted out on the table I could start adding in jig blocks starting in the cockpit area where the sides are parallel. A stick and some clamps help hold the sides parallel for this photo op.  Now may be a good time to mention, if I haven't already, that I am widening this fuselage from stock. The original Jr Ace (Model E) was 33-1/8" between tubing centerlines at the widest point. This makes for a pretty cramped space when two peopl